Tory Lanez performs at Oakland Arena on October 15, 2019 in Oakland, California. TIM MOSENFELDER/GETTY IMAGES
Tory Lanez is fearful for his life in jail after being found guilty of shooting Megan Thee Stallion, sources exclusively tell PageSix.
“Tory is scared for his life and safety in prison. He feels like he is an instant and direct target because of his celebrity status,” a source told Page Six.
The rapper arrived at North Kern State Prison in Delano, Calif., last week after being sentenced to a decade behind bars.
TMZ has reported that he’s being held in “Administrative Segregation” because of his high-profile status, which keeps him largely apart from other inmates.
According to the outlet, Lanez is “escorted to the showers where he bathes by himself,” and, “if he chooses to spend time in the yard, he’ll be the only one in the fenced-off area.”
“He stands in at 5-foot-3, so his size is definitely a setback,” a source. The insider added: “He is housed with real hardcore criminals, murderers. So he is really hoping that his lawyers will be able to continue to fight for his freedom while still maintaining his innocence. The whole thing is a mess.”
Just this month, another inmate at the same facility who is reportedly serving sentences for multiple killings was charged with first-degree murder in connection to the untimely death of his cellmate. (He pleaded not guilty in the case.)
A former inmate at the same prison was convicted this month of attacking two staffers in 2020.
The 31-year-old rapper, Lanez, was sentenced to 10 years in August. He was found guilty of shooting rapper Megan Thee Stallion in the feet, after the pair left a party at Kylie Jenner’s home in Los Angeles in 2020.
Said our insider: “His family is concerned for him as well, especially his dad. He has been in contact with his family, and they are all trying to keep his spirits up.”
The source said of Lanez, “He definitely had his moments where he has teared up,” and that in jail he is, “realizing who his real friends are.”
TMZ reported that he will be moved from his current state prison home to another facility when authorities decide where he should serve the rest of his sentence.
Lanez pleaded not guilty to three felony charges in December, including assault with a semi-automatic firearm as well as carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle, and discharging a firearm with gross negligence.
The recording artist has maintained his innocence, and stated in an Instagram post in August: “I have never let a hard time intimidate me. I will never let no jail time eliminate me. Regardless of how they try to spin my words, I have always maintained my innocence and I always will.”
He added, “In no way shape or form was I apologizing for the charges I’m being wrongfully convicted of.”
Lanez has vowed that he’ll continue to fight the case, posting that, “I refuse to apologize for something that I did not do. I’ve faced adversity my whole life, and every time it looked like I would lose, I came out on top. This is nothing but another moment where my back is against the wall, and I refuse to stop fighting till I come out victorious. Tough times don’t last, but people do.”
Reps for the rapper, whose legal name is Daystar Peterson, did not get back to us for comment.
Megan — born Megan Jovon Ruth Pete — give a victim impact statement in the case that reportedly read in part: “He not only shot me, he made a mockery of my trauma… He tried to position himself as a victim and set out to destroy my character and my soul.”
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
- President Commissions 36.5 Million Dollars Hospital In The Tain District
- You Will Not Go Free For Killing An Hard Working MP – Akufo-Addo To MP’s Killer
- I Will Lead You To Victory – Ato Forson Assures NDC Supporters