Champions League debutants Sheriff Tiraspol produced one of the great shocks in the competition as they upstaged 13-time champions Real Madrid 2-1 at the Bernabeu on Tuesday night.
The stunning result was achieved by a collective effort from players who had the opportunity to play for Sheriff, including Ghanaian Edmund Addo. The midfielder never panicked and put on an impressive show in the midfield.
He ended the match with 25 touches, 92.3% passing accuracy, 4 ground duels won, 2/2 long balls completed, 2 fouls won, 2 tackles won, 2 interceptions and 1 important clearance.
The joy of people in Korle Gonno, a town in the Greater Accra region of Ghana where Edmund Addo of Sheriff Tiraspol hails from.
Addo 21, helped the Moldovan side in securing a historic 1-2 victory over Real Madrid in the UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE at the Santiago Bernabeu last night. pic.twitter.com/BRD7hEgyzC
— Kelvin Owusu Ansah (@KelOwusu) September 29, 2021
But how much do you know about Addo? Brush up on your knowledge with these 10 facts…
- Addo grew up in the Ghanaian capital Accra but was not static. He lived at some point in Mamprobi-Sempe, Korle Gonno, Osu and Chorkor.
- The midfielder is nicknamed Addo Skillful. “It [nickname] came from a friend of mine called “Aphiloso” and once the area kids learnt it, the legend of Addo Skillful was born. But when the time came to stick the boot in, I would also be there,” Addo revealed to renowned journalist Godfred Akoto Boafo.
- His football journey started in Mamprobi where he played for popular colts club Mighty Cosmos.
- He joined ArthurLegacy Sports, owned by renowned agent Oliver Arthur, after he was scouted by the agency’s chief scout in Ghana Gideon Attoh.
- Through AthurLegacy Sports, Addo landed a lot of trials with clubs abroad. He was trialed by Italian clubs Atalanta, Cremonese, Parma, Bologna and Sassuolo as well as Austria Vienna. Unfortunately for teenager, at the time, none of the clubs signed him.
- In August 2018, Addo had his breakthrough as he secured a move to Slovakian top-flight side FK Senica. Addo struggled in his first season, playing just three matches, due to technical reasons and persistent injuries. He became a regular in his second season and never looked back.
- Addo was consistent in his third season with 31 games under his belt and two goals. That made him attractive to several clubs in Europe, including Belgium clubs, but FC Sheriff Tiraspol won the race for his signature. He signed a three-year deal with the club in July 2021.
- 10 days after joining Moldovan champions, Addo made his Champions League debut in the victory over Armenian club Alashkert Yerevan FC and has gone on to play seven more games in Europe’s elite competition.
- Addo is a Manchester United fan and dreams of playing at Old Trafford.
- Addo hasn’t played for any of Ghana’s national teams but it wouldn’t be long if he continues impressing at the biggest stage in world football.