Apeatse explosion: We should make every effort to prevent such unfortunate accidents – Ghana Chamber of Mines

apeatse explosion we should make every effort to prevent such unfortunate accidents ghana chamber of mines
WhatsApp Image 2022 01 21 at 5.39.23 PM

The Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Chamber of Mines has said the necessary measures must be put in place to ensure a similar incident like the Apeatse explosion does not recur.

In a press statement sighted by MyJoyOnline.com, Mr Sulemanu Koney said: “We should make every effort to prevent such unfortunate accidents in the future.”

According to the Chamber, it is saddened by the incident that led to the loss of lives and destruction of properties.

The Chamber of Mines has, therefore, commiserated with the bereaved families and victims.

“We offer our deepest condolences to the families of the deceased and assure them of our support during this difficult period.”

Thursday’s explosion at Apeatse in the Western Region claimed the lives of 13 people, leaving over 100 people injured.

Meanwhile, President of the Chamber, Mr Eric Asubonteng, says providing relief to the families of the deceased as well as catering for the needs of the injured and the people in the community must be made a priority.

Also, the Chamber has commended the efforts of the Police and Fire Service, the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO), and others for their swift intervention to address the incident.

“We commend the Ghana Police Service, the Ghana National Fire Service, NADMO, Minerals Commission, and mining companies for the timely intervention in the matter. We continue to collaborate with these organisations in the search and rescue efforts.”

According to Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, government is launching a full-scale investigation into the circumstances that led to Thursday afternoon’s huge explosion.

Currently, four victims are reported to be in critical condition at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) and 36 others have been admitted to various hospitals.

Preliminary investigations conducted by the Police revealed that on January 20, a vehicle carrying mining explosives, traveling from Tarkwa to Chirano mines, collided with a motorcycle, resulting in the explosion.