The Immigration Service has rebuffed allegations by the Minority that it is exploiting unemployed Ghanaians in its recruitment process.
In a statement issued Tuesday, the Service said the ¢50.00 charged each applicant was to cover administrative expenses and to pay the company that developed the e-voucher, the platform on which thousands applied.
Over 80,000 youths applied for enlistment into the Ghana Immigration Service for 2018 with only 500 vacancies available.
The Minority in Parliament is accusing the Service of trying to cash in and make wealth out of the vulnerable unemployed youth.
A total of 84,623 youths were said to have applied for the job which raked in a total of ¢4,231, 150.
MP for Keta Richard Quarshiga in an interview with Joy News demanded to know what the Service will use the money for.
According to him, the Finance Ministry in the 2018 budget made financial provision for the enlistment process and wondered why the Service still found it prudent to charge the applicants.
“Those that we recruit into the Service, is it the case that we are doing them a service or we need these people to serve in the interest of Ghana?” he demanded with a suggestion that the Service has been hugely insensitive by charging each applicant ¢50.00.
But the Service has responded. In a 14-point statement, the Service said it contracted a software developer Trybnet to design an e-recruitment system that will help the service conduct a free, transparent and fair exercise.
“To ensure integrity and fairness, the Business School of the University of Ghana was also contracted to set questions for the aptitude test,” the statement said.
Part of the proceeds from the amount charged the applicants will be used to pay the companies and all other institutions, including the GCB Bank for their services the statement suggested.
Interestingly, the Service said it charged a ¢100.00 for the same purpose during a similar recruitment exercise last year but the new government insisted that the amount be reduced to ¢50.00.
When Joy News’ Emefa Apawu asked Richard Quarshigah why the Minority was making a case out of the amount charged in 2018 when in fact double the amount was charged for the same purpose in 2016 the Keta MP said: “At the time these issues didn’t come to the fore, now it has and we need to interrogate them.”